Student Travel Grant
A limited number of travel grants are available to encourage students who are IEEE members to attend SOFE 2019.
Only "First Author" abstracts submitted by students are eligible for travel grants. Moreover, the abstract should be original (not published elsewhere).
Applicants should submit the following information by April 15, 2019.
- Copy of submitted abstract
- IEEE membership number
- Proposed travel budget to the conference (cost sharing with other students is encouraged)
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which is from the student's advisor, stating the importance of the research to be presented.
- Create a single merged pdf file containing all the application material and e-mail it to email@example.com by April 15, 2019.
Paul Phelps Continuing Education Grant
The purpose of the Paul Phelps Continuing Education Grant is to promote continuing education and encourage membership in NPSS.
The funds can be used to cover tuition costs and/or travel costs to attend Short Courses. Actual award amounts for individual grants and use of funds for applicable travel expenses are decided by each NPSS Conference.
Eligibility: Outstanding members of NPSS who are either Student Members or unemployed members needing assistance in changing career direction.
Judging criteria: Exceptional promise as a student in any of the fields of NPSS, or exceptional work in those fields by currently unemployed NPSS members with an expectation that attendance to one or more of the Short Courses will result in an improved possibility of obtaining a job in an NPSS field.
This award is presented each year at the NPSS sponsored conference at which the Short Courses are given. Grants can be applied towards expenses prior to the conference. The Paul Phelps Continuing Education Grant is funded by the IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society.
To be considered for the Paul Phelps Continuing Education Grant for SOFE2019, please contact Prof. Martin Nieto-Perez, Awards Chair of SOFE2019, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an subject "SOFE2019 Phelps grant"
Chinese Student Travel Grants
The IEEE Nuclear & Plasma Sciences Society is pleased to announce the availability grant funding to support the attendance of students from Chinese universities at SOFE 2019. Up to $2,500 per student will be reimbursed to help defray the cost of travel and participation fees. Awards will be made partly in the form of waivers of conference fees (registration, mini-course, etc.) and guest room costs at the conference hotel. Any remainder, up to the grant amount, will be provided after the conference based on receipts documenting expenses, such as travel costs.Applications will be reviewed based on merit, and decisions will be communicated to the applicant and the applicant’s advisor by the SOFE student grant coordinator (SOFE2019@ieee.org). Applicants must submit an application package as a single PDF file and e-mailed to email@example.com by April 15, 2019. Applicants must submit an application package (as a single PDF file) containing:
- A copy of the 1-page abstract of the applicant’s paper to be presented at the conference
- Applicant’s personal statement, strictly limited to 1 page, containing
- the expected benefits of attendance
- past involvement in IEEE activities, if any
- any other information supporting the merits of the application
- Description of student status including field of study, degree sought, and expected date of graduation
- An estimate of expenses to be covered by the grant
- A 1-page recommendation letter from the applicant’s advisor, verifying student status and providing a commitment to cover the remaining expenses if the grant is awarded.
Graduate and undergraduate who are enrolled full time in an accredited university in the People’s Republic of China, graduation date after June 2019, are eligible.